The popular Master Cleanse (also known as the Lemonade Cleanse) is one of the most basic and easy cleanses for the beginner. The Master Cleanse is also used as a detox program because you are giving your body a rest from food, and letting the body flush out waste from the organs and tissues.
The biggest challenge is making the mental commitment and following through. Getting started with a friend or buddy is helpful because you can support one another through the days of cleansing.
As I sit here, I am drinking a cup of delicious Master Cleanse lemonade. if you like spicy food, this is for you, because you get to use as much cayenne pepper as you like. I feel great and full of energy and happy that I’m cleansing my body at the same time. This is my second round at doing the Master Cleanse.
The first time we did the Master Cleanse, two of our college-aged kids decided to join in. Two wanted to lose some weight, and all wanted to detox and get healthy. We all chose to go on the Master Cleanse diet for 3 days. It seemed like we were juicing lemons for hours, filling up every container in the house, using up every inch of space in the spare fridge with our Master Cleanse bottles!
Why did we decide on the Master Cleanse? The Master Cleanse is very simple, and yet contains the micronutrients in the maple syrup and lemons to keep your body in balance and fortified nutritionally. Grace B is less refined and therefore contains more micronutrients.
You as how I felt on the Master Cleanse? I could drink as much as I wanted so my stomach never felt empty. The cayenne gave my mouth a buzz, and the fresh, lemony drink kept me satisfied. I tried not to think about food, and since everyone else in the house was doing it, we all supported each other.
The Master Cleanse Recipe is a great cleanse for the beginner because it tastes so good, you can do it for as long as you want (1-20 days). And you drink as much as you like. It’s your choice.
Since this is a detoxification process, you must make sure you are eliminating well throughout the process. The recommended options are: herbal laxative tea, or the Salt Water Flush (1 liter of water with 1 tablespoon Celtic Sea Salt mixture. Drink the entire liter within 15 minutes. Expect to be in the bathroom within the hour!) Personally, I use the herbal laxative tea.
THE MASTER CLEANSE RECIPE
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon (or lime)
- 2 tablespoons of Grade B maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper – red, hot variety
- 12 oz (1 1/2 cups) of pure water
- Squeeze lemon juice and pour into a jug
- Add Grade B maple syrup.
- Add distilled or clean water
- Add cayenne pepper
- Stir together. You have now made the Master Cleanse!
Ingredients for larger batch
1 cup of lemon juice
1 cup Grade B maple syrup
6 cups of distilled or clean water
2/3 tsp cayenne pepper
Stir together. You have now made a larger batch of the Master Cleanse!
Tips on being successful at the Master Cleanse:
- Do the Master Cleanser with a friend or family member for support and more fun.
- Make up a concentrate of lemon juice and maple syrup and have it ready for the next batch. Believe me, it’s helpful.
- Use organic ingredients. The goal of the master Clenase is to remove toxicity from the body, so avoid foods that have been sprayed with pesticides.
- Use fresh lemons, not lemon concentrate from a bottle.
- Drink as many cups of the Master Cleanse as you like, but also remember to keep drinking pure water throughout the day.
- Go on a Master Cleanse detox program at least twice a year.
Nutritional Benefits of the Ingredients of the Master Cleanse:
Fresh Lemons – contains Vitamin C, is a tonic to the liver, helpful for nausea and heartburn, mix with hot water for constipation, is a detoxifier for the urinary tract.
Maple Syrup , Grade B – high in the trace minerals zinc and manganese, helps with heart health and cholesterol levels, is an antioxidant, and supports the immune system.
Cayenne Pepper – helps to soothe the digestive tract, promotes circulation and normalizes blood pressure, helps with brain clarity and memory.