Non-Toxic Bug Spray Idea

Just a note on bug sprays for mosquitoes.

Commercial bug sprays contain Deet, which is a toxin that can cause allergic reactions, skin and eye irritation and also attacks the central nervous system. Definitely avoid this on children. The MSDS on this states that it is harmful if swallowed.

While in South America recently I experienced one sleepless night while mosquitoes sang their shrill music around and around my head. All I could do was pull the sheet up over my head and try to sleep through it. In the morning I looked at the array of angry mosquito bites on my forearms, and I felt like I had not slept a wink.

The next night I had the bright idea of using a diluted solution of Solutions-4-You (http://solutions-4-you.com/Ultra-Safe_Plus_Non-Toxic_Medical_Cleanser.aspx). I carried a bottle of this for brushing my teeth, and also for any unexpected use!!

It worked like a charm and we slept mosquito and bite-free. By the way, if it didn’t work, plan B was to look around for the oil of lemon skins, or lemon grass from the market to rub on my arms.

Here is another non-toxic idea for bug spray for the do-it-yourselfer to try out.  Peppermint essential oil is also known to be a great mosquito repellant – put a small amount (8-10 drops) into a spray bottle with water. Shake and spray on your body (not in your eyes).

If you try it, let me know how it works.

 

Leave a Comment